What book do you wish you had written?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of  Anonymous

If it were all about money and fame, I would want to have written Harry Potter or some other huge hit. But one book that made me say “I wish I’d written that!” was Tryin’ to Sleep in the Bed You Made by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant. It didn’t get loads of attention but should have.

This book is about two best friends who went through a horrifying experience as children. It’s also about the circumstances that made them drift apart. I fell in love with the characters from page one and my husband heard about this book nonstop for days. It’s one of those books I will read over and over again. (Here is the authors’ website.)

How about you? What book do you wish you had written?

Profile photo of LichenCraig LichenCraig 
    Participant

Oh gosh. So many. But interestingly my mind always goes back to one I read in 2013 that was one of the most beautiful, horrifying, and technically brilliant books I have ever read: Jeff Mann’s “Purgatory”. I reviewed it here: http://lichencraig.blogspot.com/2012/06/read-of-decade-for-this-writer.html

I’m sure I could think of a few others. I admire books that address difficult subject matter fearlessly, and also bring a new angle and message to the subject. I don’t require a happy ending (HEA), and in fact I think that to require that element limits your experience as book a reader and a writer. “Purgatory” would fall into the sub-genre of “Dark Romance” (a book that deals with difficult subject matter) and it’s an historical to boot. Must have been quite a feat to write it.

Currently I am reading two very good ones: one is called “Deliver” and it’s by Pam Godwin. The use of language – as is the use of language in “Purgatory” – is beautiful and expertly done. The other is “The Ground Rules” by Roya Carmen. This one is also well-written and I’m looking forward to getting into it – the subject matter promises to be quite a ride.

Let me add that in all three of these books any error of spelling, typing, formatting or grammer is rare to non-existent. I am an editor and so I am sensitive to that. But I do believe that any reader is distracted by errors from the flow and experience of the work, and an error-free prose gives the reader the impression, however subconscious, that the author knows the subject and is professional. This contributes to reader trust in the story.

Purgatory sounds like a great read. I can see from your review that it’s not light subject matter, but I really enjoy Civil War novels. (I’m plotting one myself.) I often read genre fiction, but what I like about great literature are the moments when I read a phrase over and over again, aloud, because it flows so beautifully. Books like that really make me want to be a better writer.

I like your last statement about error-free books: “This contributes to reader trust in the story.” I agree. It also contributes to reader trust in self-published works in general.

Profile photo of Toni Ressaire Toni Ressaire 
    Participant

I wish I had written “Eat, Pray, Love.”

At the time I read that book I was contemplating moving to Europe and I was going through a difficult time in life. As I was reading, I felt the author was writing about me. It was almost a spiritual experience as I related to her thoughts, emotions, and experiences. I would love to have written a book that could speak to women so intimately that they could identify with me, as I did with this author. I feel like I know her personally. I would like to have written that book.

Well, now I live in the South of France and I could write a similar book. But I won’t, because nothing could live up to “Eat, Pray, Love.”

@toni-ressaire I’ve heard so much about Eat, Pray, Love. It seems like an emotionally challenging read. I finally just added it to my TBR list :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?